A special program for healthcare professionals who want to advance their communication skills or get published
This unique 3-day course empowers physicians, healthcare executives, and other professionals to expand their visibility and influence in healthcare through traditional and new media. As an attendee, you will learn how to make the most of print, live, and online communication channels, and sharpen your ability to market yourself and your body of work. Individual sessions focus on:
- Best practices for connecting the public with your ideas and insights
- Getting your book published in 2017: new challenges and options
- Lectures and workshops to improve your writing and your "elevator" or book pitch
- Personalized instruction from top-tier writing coaches, editors, and literary agents
- Social media: introductory and advanced topics
- Self-publishing books, blogs, and websites
- Strategies for impacting national and international healthcare audiences
- Workshops to assist in the development of memoirs and narrative nonfiction
- Techniques for strategic storytelling and making science fun
- Steps to ensure the success of your published work
You may also customize your learning experience by attending optional workshops led by healthcare publishing experts who will critique your pre-existing unpublished works, your ideas for new works, and/or writing that you do in class. These workshops represent a rare opportunity to learn and get input from the people who decide every day what gets published and what does not for the healthcare arena.
In addition to these publishers, the program faculty includes physicians who are regularly published, literary agents who specialize in healthcare, experts in public speaking, and nationally recognized coaches in scientific writing.
Over the years that Harvard Medical School has offered this CME course, it has altered the trajectory of many of its attendees’ careers. Past attendees report that the education they received and the contacts they made have been life changing.